For years, I’ve been making this Maple Brown Sugar Ham in my slow cooker for our family gatherings and house parties. It’s easy, plentiful and oh so delicious!
I make it using uncured ham and organic ingredients. So it’s as clean as it can be.
One of our sons repeatedly asked for the recipe until I finally remembered to sit down and email it to him.
Since the Holidays are upon us, we thought perhaps you’d also like to see how to make this exceptionally delicious ham.
Here’s a copy of something close to that email …
Hi, honey! Here’s my ham recipe. Finally! I’m sorry it took so long to get this to you. Waaaay too easy to make 😀
Maple Brown Sugar Slow Cooker Ham
Instead of store-bought honey baked ham
What you’ll need …
• 7-8 pound spiral-cut uncured ham (bone-in or boneless)
• 1 cup organic dark brown sugar
…..(or 1 cup organic cane sugar and 1 Tbsp organic molasses)
• 1/2 cup pure organic dark amber maple syrup (I use this)
• 2 cups organic pineapple juice, preferrably in a glass bottle.
6-7 quart slow cooker.
How to pull it together …
1. Unwrap the ham and discard any end cap and the flavor packet. That’s right! Throw. The flavor packet. Away.
2. Place naked ham into the slow cooker stoneware ON IT’S SIDE SO THE LID WILL CLOSE
3. Rub brown sugar on all sides.
4. Pour on maple syrup and rub in all around letting it settle in-between the slices.
5. Pour pineapple juice over it all.
6. Cover snugly and cook on low for 4-5 hours. 4 HOURS IS USUALLY ENOUGH. Do not cook longer than 5 hours or the ham could become dry.
7. After 3 hours, baste ham with juices that have gathered in the bottom of the slow cooker. Continue to cook for another hour or so.
8. When done, remove the ham carefully and let it rest on a cutting board for 10 minutes before carving.
(TO REMOVE THE HAM FROM THE CROCK, I USE THE TURKEY TONGS IN THE LEFT HAND SMALL DRAWER ON THE ISLAND – NOT FACING THE STOVE. THE SIDE FACING THE SINK.)